Monday, 11 March 2013

A 30 year old kid?

So they say sophistication comes with age, but does it really?

Recently I've been getting some help on my resume from this late 20's white male as I suffer from the Asian female unable to boast about oneself on paper syndrome. So this guy and I meet up at Starbucks one afternoon to work on giving my resume the 'wow' factor.

Some background info: I'm Asian and female - I have been told on countless occasions that I look like I'm still in university and even sometimes high school (those people need to meet some recent high school students - altho, some may actually look older than me...). The guy is in his late 20's, I'm going to guess 27/28, but he looks a lot older than me.

So we meet up and start discussing the direction and story I want to tell in the document. I have the tendency to act as young as I look, so on a casual basis I essentially act like a kid. He on the other hand has this sophistication about him where I could tell he's the type that has serious discussions about big world topics.

At one point, I wrote out a bullet point that had him say my name in a very parental, you're testing my limits, tone. It came out naturally for him but I think it made him feel weird. Well, I know because he said he felt like he's lecturing a kid but then realizing I'm actually at 30 year old woman. Boy did I feel old.

No comments:

Post a Comment